Genii, The Conjurors’ Magazine
4200 Wisconsin Avenue NW, PMB 106-384
Washington, D.C. 20016
From: Richard Kaufman, Editor and Publisher of Genii, The Conjurors’ Magazine
To: All Magician Members of the Academy of Magical Arts
An Introduction to iGenii (a New Benefit of your AMA Membership)
In partnership with the Academy of Magical Arts, your membership in that organization now includes access to Genii, the oldest, largest, and best-selling independent magic magazine in the world. You will be able to view the digital version of the new issue of Genii each month, all previous digital issues going back to January 2011, and PDF versions of all earlier issues going back to 1936 via our partnership with the Conjuring Arts Research Center and Ask Alexander. Before you get started, let me explain that there are two different types of electronic back issues.
1. “Digital Back Issues”: Digital versions of Genii, which start in January 2011—these have multimedia functions such as audio and video and are available using an app for tablets and smartphones, and using a browser on your desktop or laptop computer.
2. “PDF Back Issues”: All the back issues of Genii from 1936 until two years ago are available in a searchable database on Ask Alexander. These issues can only be accessed through your browser. iGenii Instructions for AMA Magician Members
ACTIVATE YOUR GENII SUBSCRIPTION
(This can be done through any browser on your desktop, laptop, tablet, or smartphone)
1. Using your AMA member number (just the digits!) and your email address, go to http://askalexander.org/ama to activate your Genii subscription.
2. Create a User Name and Password of at least six characters. Both are case sensitive.
3. Write down your User Name and Password. Please do not share it with anyone. I’ll repeat that again: PLEASE WRITE DOWN YOUR USER NAME AND PASSWORD.
4. After you have created your account, you will be brought to the Login page (located at http://askalexander.org/login). Please bookmark this page.
5. Sign in to Ask Alexander with your User Name and Password. Note that after you login the first time, it will take 48 hours for your account information to be moved to the servers which service the digital version of genii. Please wait 48 hours before proceeding to the next step. (This delay only affects the current digital version of Genii; during this time you will be able search and view PDF back issues of Genii on Ask Alexander [see below for instructions]).
LOGIN THROUGH THE GENII APP
The Genii app provides access to the digital Genii issues, including the current issue, back to the first Genii digital issue in January, 2011. The Genii app is available on iOS (Mac) iPads and iPhones, and Android tablets and smartphones.
1. Go to the app store on your device and install the free Genii app.
2. Once the app is installed, clicking on it will bring you to a login page.
3. Enter the User Name and Password that you created earlier.
VIEW THE CURRENT DIGITAL ISSUE IN THE GENII APP
1. The first time you login using the Genii app, you will be brought to the front page, which contains access to all digital issues going back to January 2011. Tap an issue to download it onto your device. It is strongly suggested that you check the box to INCLUDE multimedia files in your download.
2. Do not allow your device to go to sleep or interrupt it during the download.
3. If the download is not successful, return to the front page of the app and tap the “Edit” button in the upper right corner. Tap the “X” on the corner of the cover of the issue you wish to delete. Repeat the download process.
VIEW THE CURRENT DIGITAL ISSUE IN YOUR BROWSER
1. Go to the top of any Ask Alexander page and click on “Periodicals.” When you do, you should see Genii in the menu. If Genii is not shown in the Periodicals menu, then your account information is still being moved to the Genii digital publisher. This usually requires 48 hours from when you first login to Ask Alexander.
2. Clicking on Genii will bring you to the most recent digital issue.
3. Use the arrows at the top of the page to click through the issue one page at a time.
VIEW DIGITAL BACK ISSUES IN YOUR BROWSER
1. Digital issues going back to January 2011 are available in the Archive Folder, which is the top button ( ) at the left. SEARCH PDF BACK ISSUES IN YOUR BROWSER
1. Once you have logged in to Ask Alexander using your browser (not an app), you can search all issues of Genii.
2. A search box in the center of the page is ready for you to type in any word or phrase (multiple words must be enclosed in quotation marks—like this: “Dai Vernon”). Once you make an entry and hit return, all instances in which that word or phrase appear in every issue of Genii and The Conjurors’ Magazine will show up.
3. Click on any one to be brought directly to the page. The page may be printed out, but only one at a time. (Excessive “scarfing” of pages in our decades of back issues located on Ask Alexander—that is, excessive downloading or printing out of thousands of pages—will result in a loss of access. This is enforced by The Conjuring Arts Research Center.)
BROWSE PDF BACK ISSUES IN YOUR BROWSER
1. In the search window, go to the top of the page and click on “Browse.” When you do, at least two entries will appear for you to choose from: “Genii” and “The Conjurors’ Magazine.”
2. Clicking on “Genii” will bring you to all past volumes of Genii from 1936 onward. Click on the cover of the issue you wish to peruse and you will be brought to that issue. Use the Next button ( ) on the upper right to click through the issue one page at a time.
3. Clicking on “The Conjurors’ Magazine” will bring you to the seven volumes of this magazine from the 1940s. When The Conjurors’ Magazine went out of business, it was purchased by Genii. We are very pleased to have the members of the Academy of Magical Arts join the Genii family of subscribers. Please do not share your User Name and Password with anyone. We periodically check the ISP addresses using accounts. Those who allow others to use their accounts will be deleted from the database and no longer be able to access this feature of their Academy of Magical Arts membership.
Thank you and enjoy Genii!
Back To Top